SPSS and Vista

July 4th, 2007 andris

SPSS and VistaSome of our visitors have recently been looking for information about the compatibility of SPSS software with the Microsoft operating system Vista. To check the compatibility of your version of SPSS with different operating systems (OS) , you can view the SPSS Compatibility Matrices. For each of the SPSS products you can check with which OS it is compatible. Right now, only SPSS 15.0 is compatible with Microsoft Windows Vista. There are no versions of the normal SPSS for Windows which are compatible with an 64-bit OS.

However, to use SPSS 15.0 under Vista, you do need to install the SPSS 15 Windows Vista HOTFIX. You need to login to download this hotfix. You can login with your own username and password, or use:

username: guest
password: guest

On the download page you can also find instructions on installation of the hotfix.

Entry Filed under: SPSS News

10 Comments

• 1. Heidi  |  July 15th, 2007 at 11:42 am

So is anyone going to fix this Vista compatibility problem, or do we have to shell out another $1500 to get the latest version of SPSS if we are running Vista??

• 2. Andris  |  July 15th, 2007 at 12:33 pm

Heidi, I guess you should ask SPSS this question. Of course your alternative is to use Windows XP, Vista isn’t cheap either… :-)

• 3. Susan  |  August 10th, 2007 at 8:05 am

The problem I am running into is that I desperatly need a nw computer, and it is impossible to find one without the VISTA operating system already installed.

• 4. Iqbal  |  August 28th, 2007 at 2:15 am

Exactly. And VISTA is Damn slow!
    I tried hard to get a new laptop with XP. No joy!

• 5. Flagorneur  |  August 29th, 2007 at 1:39 pm

Dell and HP still sell laptops and desktops with XP on them. Enterprises refuse to upgrade to Vista yet, too many problems.

• 6. loh SY  |  October 17th, 2007 at 8:53 am

can i clarify how i can entered a missing data. eg if i have i digit likert sacle and i use 99 for any miising data??. Do i use 999 for mising data in a scale which has 3 digits??

• 7. Andris  |  October 17th, 2007 at 12:22 pm

@Ioh SY: Please ask your question at http://www.spssforum.com

• 8. s  |  April 6th, 2008 at 6:15 am

Mine is vista business windows. But It failed to download and instal SPSS.What can I do?

• 9. overstressed admin  |  August 15th, 2008 at 10:49 am

I read a trick here: http://www.nabble.com/Cannot-install-SPSS-11.0-into-Windows-Vista-Home-Basic-to13302879.html

From someone name Eyal: It is somewhat of an ugly kludge but I managed to find out why SPSS determines that Vista was an NT Terminal Server (while XP is not) – it does so by checking a registry entry under HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\ProductOptions (one that simply reads “Terminal Server”, btw).
    By making sure your user doesn’t have permission to read the entry the problem is circumvented (I checked ‘Deny read permission’ for my specific userid on the key).
    Note that you will need to do that on a permanent basis (SPSS checks that key whenever it is started) – I do not think this will have any harmful effects, but if it does you can always undo it and create an SPSS user.

I haven’t tried it yet, but will do so. It is an SPSS incompatibility problem. I don’t feel like shelling out more for software than I paid for a hardware and an OS. I’ll see if it works or I’ll run XP in a virtual environment and install it there.

• 10. Thomas Blondis  |  March 28th, 2009 at 10:56 am