Import data from an Excel file

May 3rd, 2006 andris

First refer to Importing data into SPSS. If you have read it, than you can continue below.
Before you start the actual import process, please keep in mind that the Excel file should not be opened in Excel.

1. Select File -> Open -> Data
2. Choose Excel as the File Type
3. Select the file you want to import and click Open

Importing Excel file Open Excel Data Source

4. The next thing that will pop up is a screen called Opening Excel Data Source. If you use a header row, than tick the option Read variable names from the first row of data. Select the right worksheet you want to import from (the same as the tabs in Excel). If you have no clue, leave it as is. It will probably select the right one automatically. If you do not want to import the whole worksheet, you can use the field Range to define the cells you want to import, otherwise just leave empty. Click OK.

Importing Excel file Open file

SPSS will automatically determine the type of each variable, so after you clicked OK, you are ready!

Entry Filed under: 1. Getting data into SPSS,Questions and answers

8 Comments

• 1. SPSSlog.com » Impor&hellip  |  May 3rd, 2006 at 6:22 am

[...] Importing data from an Excel file Importing data from an ASCI file Importing data from a tab delimited text file [...]

• 2. Kishore Jethanandani  |  August 18th, 2006 at 11:38 am

I am having a hard time importing labels value from Excel into SPSS. Apparently, the command language can get the data in most effectively. Can somebody please explain how this can be done?

• 3. Mark  |  August 22nd, 2006 at 2:19 am

Kishore,

You’ve got to create the labels by yourself in SPSS.

Mark

• 4. Junkeira  |  November 15th, 2008 at 4:41 am

I cant do it.
    It just opens a blank SPSS database and an output file with the import options I selected

• 5. Veerle  |  November 16th, 2008 at 10:12 am

It worked. It exported the exceldata to a new spss format.

But I already had defined the values and labels etc. So I made a kind of a framework in spss. Is it possible to import the exceldata into this already excisting spss file????

• 6. Sebastiaan Ravelli  |  January 9th, 2009 at 10:11 am

I Need to upload a huge pile of data into SPSS. And “huge” is realy HUGE. The content is so big that excel is not capable to carry the content in one spreadsheet. I have 27 excel documents instead and want to make one SPSS datafile.

Is it posiable to imort data from more than one excel document and how is it done?
    What are limits within SPSS documents?

• 7. Dennis  |  July 26th, 2011 at 2:17 am

The file I use was imported only partially? What can be a reason?

• 8. Sylvie  |  August 17th, 2011 at 3:19 am

SPSS only recognises Sheet 1 [A1:A1], therefore I have no cells imported, what could be the reason?
    If I try to change the range, I get syntax errors?

Calendar